nothing makes me feel less patriotic than the annual air and water show. every year i know it's coming, this year because an excited commercial on in the grocery store boasted "a bigger and better show than ever before!", and yet the first sonic boom sweeping over me as i walked out of the office for lunch today still struck me with a momentary panic. my fellow americans/chicagoans, a stealth fighter careening over your house is terrifying, not titillating. and i doubt i'd find it any more gratifying with a kenny loggins soundtrack and fireworks. every year i marvel at how a major metropolis can condone squadrons in freefall over a population of 8 million. the arrogance of it bothers me the most though. it's like our city's weekend-long, collective frat boy woof and head butt.
Friday, August 19, 2005
- Nov 18 7 p.m.Clean Part Series, Lincoln, NE
- Nov 28 8 p.m. Too Close for Comfort Reading Series, Milwaukee, WI
- Jan 28 7 p.m. Zinc Bar, NY
- Nov 03 Joe Amato & Kass Fleisher
- Dec 22 James Wagner & Brian Whitener
- Feb 09 Monica de la Torre & TBA
- Feb 23 Stephen Rodefer & Daniel Borzutzky
- May 11 Lisa Fishman & Kate Colby
- Jun 08 The City Visible anthology release reading
- late freight that held that harmony of axles too t...
- At this time of day leans with shadows pressing pe...
- Goodbye 3030
- Imaginary Essays
- Bingo King
- This might be an interesting survey to take- no...
- This might be an interesting survey to take- not j...
- So the eyebrow wax worked- I'll be taking over Jes...