Friday, August 19, 2005

nothing makes me feel less patriotic than the annual air and water show. every year i know it's coming, this year because an excited commercial on in the grocery store boasted "a bigger and better show than ever before!", and yet the first sonic boom sweeping over me as i walked out of the office for lunch today still struck me with a momentary panic. my fellow americans/chicagoans, a stealth fighter careening over your house is terrifying, not titillating. and i doubt i'd find it any more gratifying with a kenny loggins soundtrack and fireworks. every year i marvel at how a major metropolis can condone squadrons in freefall over a population of 8 million. the arrogance of it bothers me the most though. it's like our city's weekend-long, collective frat boy woof and head butt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home